Resources for Consumers & Providers
Welcome to the the Resources For Consumers & Providers page. We’ve mined the interwebs to curate the best resources on health reform and HIV. We’re presenting a array of information from general to more detail than you will ever want to know. Find something good that we don’t have listed here? Send us an email and we’ll post it. We’re counting on scouts like you to send us materials you find useful. Check back often – we’re updating this page frequently.
FIRST PAGE: General Resources and Videos
- “We Can Do It!” Fact Sheets
There are three fact sheets in this series that are useful for new health insurance enrollees. The “Have a New Health Plan?” fact sheet specifically targets the needs of health insurance consumers living with HIV. The other two fact sheets provide information that all new health insurance consumers will be able to utilize when accessing health care for the first time.
- HIV-specific Q & A for clients on health reform
Download and customize this simple two-page Q & A created by HIV advocates in San Francisco and start educating clients today. Available as a customizable MS Word document.
- Illinois Resource: Health Care Reform Passport
Part 1 asks a series of Yes/No questions to help you figure out where YOU fit into health care reform, and understand your new health care options. Click here to view Illinois: Q&A Where do you fit? (also available in Spanish)Part 2 asks you to list the medications and health services that you currently receive, and it will help you gather the right documents if a change is coming your way. Click here to view Illinois: Passport Check-list (also available in Spanish)
- Florida Resource “The Affordable Care Act and You” (PDF)
The Florida AIDS Drug Assistance Program has created a simple sheet featuring seven things consumers can do to get ready for health care reform in 2014.
- Lifelong AIDS Alliance Health Reform Education Materials These new materials provide information on health reform, the impact of reform to those with chronic conditions, Federal Poverty Level Chart, and a basic understanding of changes made by the Affordable Care Act.
- Marketplace Information Brochure for People with HIV (PDF)
Created by the Duke University School of Law AIDS Legal Project, this clear and simple brochure explains the marketplace, how insurance works, and how ADAP and Ryan White can help. For a version you can customize using Microsoft Publisher, send us an email.
- AARP Health Law Answers:
This interactive tool from AARP allows you tailor answers that best fit your own personal situation.
- The Affordable Care Act Finally Unrolls the Carpet:
Story written by Benjamin Ryan for POZ Magazine
- Complete List of State Health Insurance Websites:
If you are wondering where to purchase insurance in your state search this complete list from State Reforum. It includes the websites for each states health insurance marketplace along with call center phone numbers.
- Frequently Asked Healthcare Reform Questions:
Kaiser Family Foundation has compiled a list of the most frequently asked healthcare reform questions. If you are looking for answers to your healthcare reform questions check here first! Odds are someone else has the same question you do.
- Obamacare & You: What the Affordable Care Act Means for People Living with HIV:
The Kaiser Family Foundation along with the Black AIDS Institute have designed a fantastic new web portal to help people living with HIV/AIDS learn more about their choices under Obamacare.
- A Roadmap to Better Care and a Healthier You!
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released this roadmap that walks you through a step-by-step guide on what having health insurance means, how to use your card, and how to set up your first visit with a health care provider, such as a doctor or a nurse practitioner.
- “NEW” Assistance Programs to Help Pay for Medications
Patients or providers should contact the programs listed in the chart to see if they are eligible.
- “NEW” Employer Sponsored Insurance — Frequently Asked Questions
This Frequently Asked Questions document (FAQ) is intended to provide resources and help those who have health insurance through their employer with the changes that have occurred through the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Readiness for Health Insurance Participation by Ryan White Providers: The time is now!
Reform readiness presentation from Julia Hidalgo of Positive Outcomes, Inc.
- NASTAD Health Reform Central
The National Alliance of State and Territorial AIDS Directors’ health reform page, including issue briefs on topics such as essential health benefits, and monthly health reform updates.
- HIVMA Health Care Reform & Essential Community Providers (ECP)
Information for Ryan White Providers: Information for community-based organizations about becoming ECP’s in order to contract with marketplace insurance plans.
- State HIV Health Reform Implementation Tips from HIVHealthReform.org (PDF)
This fact sheet lists suggestions for implementing health reform in your state to maximize opportunities to improve access to HIV care.
- AAHIVM:Health Reform Resource Center for HIV Providers
This is targeted at HIV providers to aid them with a resource for the health system changes occurring with health care reform in their respective state. This site will be continuously updated to reflect any new information or changes occurring.
- HRSA HAB’s Official Frequently Asked Questions – Ryan White & the Affordable Care Act:
The Health Resources and Service Administration HIV/AIDS Bureau released answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Ryan White Program and the Affordable Care Act
- IDC Affordable Care Act Brochure:
Affordable Care Act and You: This brochure explains how ACA is going to help you get health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- HIVMA Implementation Resources for Medical Providers:
The HIV Medicine Association’s center for health care reform implementation, featuring a number of fact sheets designed for health care providers.
- HIVHealthReform.org webinar: HIV Medical Clinics – Preparing for 2014
HIVHealthReform.org webinar featuring Julia Hidalgo of Positive Outcomes and George Washington University. May 2013. Watch the webinar recording and download the slides.
- State Engaging Safety Net Providers in Expanded Coverage: Tips on Enhancing Billing Capacities (PDF)From the National Academy for State Health Policy
- HIVMA – Preparing for Enrollment what HIV Providers Need to Know (PDF)
- Open enrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplaces, also known as Exchanges, begins Oct 1, 2013, for health coverage that takes effect Jan 1, 2014. This document compiles enrollment information and resources for HIV medical providers.
- HIVMA-“Tools for Monitoring HIV Care: HIV Clinical Quality Measures”
will be useful as ACA implementation continues to be applied. One such change will concern who should be tested for HIV.
- HIVMA-“Strategies for HIV Medical Providers Contracting with Health Insurers.”
HIVMA identifies and details eight steps for contracting with insurance plans and Managed Care Organizations (MCOs).
- Medical Home Resource Center:
Information on patient centered medical homes from the Care Act TARGET Center.
- HIVHealthReform.org webinar: Pathways to Collaboration
Integrating Community-Based Organization and New Health Care Reform Health Home Programs. Strategies for non-medical providers to prepare for health care reform.
- “Pathways to Collaboration” webinar tool:
Steps for Community-Based Organizations to Integrate into Patient-Centered Medical Homes (PDF)
- HIVHealthReform.org webinar:
How will the Affordable Care Act expand access to HIV prevention and testing services?
– California Summary of Important HIV/AIDS Policy Questions (PDF): California HIV/AIDS Research Program
– California Full Analysis of the Above Important HIV/AIDS Policy Questions (PDF):
California HIV/AIDS Research Program
- Colorado ADAP & ACA Health Coverage Guide (PDF):
ADAP, Colorado AIDS Project, Colorado Department of Public Health, Connect for Health Colorado, and the Boulder County AIDS Project.
- Ohio AIDS Coalition
– Ohio AIDS Coalition Health MarketPlace Enrollment website–Ohio ACA Brochure “What HIV Providers Need to Know About Healthcare Reform” (PDF)
–Your HIV Road Map to Healthcare in 2014 for Ryan White Clients in Ohio (Word)
- “Oregon’s CAREAssist Fact Sheet”
CAREAssist is Oregon’s AIDS Drug Assistance Program (PDF): Oregon CAREAssist
- West Virginia ACA Brochure “Attention: All Persons Living With HIV Who Are Uninsured”:
Jay Adams, HIV Task Force. Page 1 (Word) | Page 2 (Word)